A few Prevention Tips for Dry Skin
Dry skin affects many people of all ages and can not only make the skin feel tight and irritated but also encourage the early formation of lines, wrinkles and other signs of aging.
While there are many products on the market designed to relieve dry skin, prevention is key and there are a number of things you can do to avoid making the problem worse.
1. Avoid overheated homes or freezing cold weather. which can both have a damaging effect on the skin and, if you already suffer from dry skin, will make the problem so much worse.
Going from one extreme to the other stresses the skin and results in irritation, flakiness and dry, rough patches. Lowing the heating and protecting the skin when you’re out in the elements are vital to damage reduction.
2. Use a rich night cream, such as Solvaderm’s Suvoderm, which provides intense hydration and, with ingredients such as Hyaluronic Acid and Glycine Soja oil, will ensure that the skin is kept nourished and conditioned.
3. Make sure that your diet is high in good oils from sources such as nuts and seeds, and antioxidant-rich foods to fight damaging free radicals. Helping to treat the skin from within is just as important as using skincare products and will give the skin all the nutrients it needs to heal and protect itself. And don’t forget to stay hydrated by sipping water throughout the day, every day, not just when it’s hot outside! 4. Make sure your cleanser is formulated for dry skin. Some cleansing products strip away vital natural oils and leave the skin feeling taut and dry. Solvaderm’s Rejuvoderm cleanser is ideal for dry skin types as not only will it cleanse gently and effectively, it also helps reinforce the skin structure and leaves it smooth and hydrated. 5. Use warm, not hot water on the skin and avoid long soaks in the tub or extended showers. Hot water strips the skin’s natural oils and can cause redness and irritation.
6. Exfoliate on a regular basis to remove a build-up of dulling dead skin cells, but choose your product with care. Some exfoliating products contain harsh ingredients that literally scrub away natural oils and will simply leave the skin sore. A gentle exfoliator like Glowpeel, in the Solvaderm range, removes pore-clogging debris but uses non-irritating alpha-hydroxy acids to safely reveal a fresh, glowing skin surface. 7. Treat the dry, delicate skin around the eyes with a specially-formulated serum that deeply moisturizes to reduce the look of crow’s feet, fine lines and deep wrinkles. Because dry skin is more prone to premature aging, it is important to start using a product such as Eyevage, part of Solvaderm’s dry skin treatment line, to prevent damage before it starts.
8. Dry skin can often be sensitive too, so make sure that you avoid strongly-scented perfumes, soaps and even laundry detergents. The high chemical content in these products will irritate the skin, leading to dry, rough and red patches.