Dos and Don’ts for Combination Skin
Dealing with combination skin can be tricky, the last thing you want to do is make the dry parts flaky and tight or the oily parts greasier! While this skin type can be annoying in terms of caring for it, it’s something that many of us have that greasier area on the forehead, nose and chin combined with dry, rough skin on our cheeks is very common and doesn’t have to be a hassle to treat. You just need to know some important dos and don’ts for combination skin!
- Use cool water on your skin when washing it. Hot water can strip the natural oils from the skin and while you may think this is a good thing for the oily parts of your face, it can actually make the problem worse by sending the oil glands into overdrive. Not only that, but water that is too hot will irritate and dry out the other areas of your skin, leaving them rough, flaky and red.
- Wash your skin with a cleanser designed to keep your skin PH levels balanced. This is a key factor when dealing with combination skin and you have to use a cleanser that has the ability to dissolve and whisk away excess oils, dirt and bacteria but leaves the moisture barrier intact. The Solvaderm cleanser Rejuvoderm does just this, cleaning deep down into the pores and leaving the skin hydrated and rejuvenated.
- Follow a healthy lifestyle. It goes without saying that eating right, exercising, cutting down on alcohol and not smoking are all essential if you want your skin to look and feel its best. Staying hydrated through the day by drinking water helps flush toxins from the body, supporting skin that is clear, bright and less likely to breakout in pimples and blemishes.
- Use harsh products such as strongly astringent toners to dry out areas of oily skin. Not only are these types of products usually full of chemicals and harmful substances, your skin will retaliate by producing more oil, resulting in clogged pores and trapped bacteria. While toning is an important step in the skincare routine, use a product such as Maxatone by Solvaderm which is formulated to fight blemishes while conditioning the skin and keeping it fully hydrated.
- Pick at pimples, blackheads and blemishes. As tempting as it may be, touching sore and blemished skin spreads bacteria, prevents the skin from healing and encourages scarring. If the oily areas of your skin are prone to breakouts and acne, treat them with a specially -formulated product that provides the ingredients it needs to fight infection and heal. The Zeroblem formula by Solvaderm contains skin-clarifying compounds that clear up breakouts and reduce the risk of future acne flare-ups.
- Use heavily perfumed, chemical-laden products. Try to stick to products that are formulated for combination skin and use natural botanicals, essential oils, vitamins and minerals which are less likely to irritate the dry, sensitive areas of the skin or clog pores where skin is oily.
A little extra care in your routine and the use of high quality products will ensure that your combination skin is balanced, conditioned and blemish-free!